Dry Eye Relief and Management
Eyes For Life in Spokane, WA specializes in the assessment, diagnosis and management of Dry Eye Disease, a chronic and progressive dry eye condition. There is no cure for Dry Eye Disease, however, signs and symptoms can be treated and controlled to help improve comfort and vision. ‘Dry eye’ is a major reason people schedule an appointment with their eye doctor.
What causes dry eye?
There are many potential causes of Dry Eye Disease, making it a multi-factorial disease.
In some cases, the cause is obvious, such as environmental irritants or short-term inflammation.
Some of the other causes of chronic dry eye problems include:
- Meibomian Gland Dysfunction (MGD)
- Defects that affect the eyelid or shape of the eye
- Infrequent Blinking (increased screen/computer use)
- Certain medications
- Systemic Disease and Medical Conditions (Sjögren’s Syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lupus and other Auto-Immune conditions, Sleep Apnea, and more).
- Advancing Ages
- Prior Laser Eye Surgeries
- Poor fitting or outdated contact lens materials
How is dry eye diagnosed and treated?
Through a thorough medical history and screening questions, imaging of the meibomian glands, detailed anterior health check, and measurements of the tear film and cornea, we are able to diagnose and provide treatment for Dry Eye Disease.
Some of the typical treatments include:
- Omega-3 (fish oil) supplements
- Warm compresses/heat mask with lid massage
- Eyelid hygiene (BlephEx treatment)
- Blinking Exercises and the 20/20/20 rule
- LipiFlow for the treatment of MGD
- Prescription medications and biological drops (Regener-Eyes®)
- Punctal occlusion (punctal plugs)
- Lubrication drops
- Scleral Lenses
Dry eyes are not only uncomfortable — they can also be bad for the health of your eyes. Book an appointment at Eyes For Life to find relief.